Henry Dyson

add contact to address book

Henry Dyson

Academic Advisor, Honors Housing Coordinator

University of Michigan
435 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Office Location(s): 1330 Mason Hall
Phone: (734) 647.4489
hdyson@umich.edu

• About

I serve as the Senior Advisor and Scholarship Coordinator for the LSA Honors Program.  I came to the University of Michigan in 2005 as a research fellow in Philosophy and Classical Studies, having previously taught philosophy at The College of William and Mary.  My area of specialization is Greek and Roman philosophy (the Stoics, Epicureans, Cynics, and Skeptics).  My favorite thing about advising, however, is that I have the opportunity to help students design educational plans in vastly different areas of the LSA curriculum.  I love that in a single day I might talk with students about courses on Shakespeare, biostatistics, survey methodology, Islamic mysticism, and economic development; not to mention study abroad, internships, volunteer opportunities, and potential honors theses.  

Areas to Ask About: 
    General advising, Honors Academic Board, Scholarship Competitions, Honors 135, and Honors Housing

Selected Publications:

• “Is There a Lacuna in Ps-Plutarch (‘Aetius’) 4.11.1-4? Two Accounts of Concept-Formation in Hellenistic Philosophy,” Classical Quarterly (forthcoming)
    • “Pleasure and the Sapiens: Seneca, De vita beata 11.1,” Classical Philology 105.3 (2010): 313-17.
    • Prolepsis and Ennoia in the Early Stoa, Sozomena: Studies in the Recovery of Ancient Texts, Vol. 5, Berlin and New York: Walter de Gruyter, 2009.
    • “The God Within: Epictetus on the Normative Self,” History of Philosophy Quarterly 26.3 (2009): 235-53.

• Education
    • BA in Philosophy and Humanities [University of Tennessee – Chattanooga]
    • MA in Classical Studies [University of Missouri – Columbia]
    • PhD in Philosophy [Emory University]