Study Abroad

Sociologists are increasingly involved in crafting the policies and programs that shape the world we live in today. Scholars in the field take seriously the idea that understanding one’s place and prospects in the world is informed by exposure to other societies. Hence, study abroad is an essential way to enrich one’s studies in sociology. Studying abroad provides an opportunity to explore how culture, social organization, social structures, and social interaction take place in vast and varied ways. Moreover, through study abroad you can learn about how social problems are constituted differently in other societies, and how different kinds of solutions and possibilities are posed.

Getting Started
Plan early. Talk to your general LSA advisor, concentration advisor(s) and minor advisor(s) about your interest in going abroad.

Carefully research possible programs. Decide if you will study abroad via a U-M program or through another institution’s program.  

Michigan Study Abroad Resources
Non-U-M Study Abroad Resources

Not sure about going abroad? Think about studying outside of Ann Arbor, but still in the States.

Study abroad is not just for juniors! Rather, the timing (and program choice) varies by what you hope to achieve by studying abroad. Individual courses that offer a study abroad component may be taken any time. Summer, semester, and year-long programs offer courses that have the potential to be used toward sociology requirements. In planning for study abroad, you should discuss with the sociology concentration advisor which requirements should be taken here in Ann Arbor (and when) and which requirements might be satisfied with a course or courses taken abroad.

Counting courses taken abroad toward sociology concentration requirements
You should plan to meet with the sociology concentration advisor to discuss concentration coursework you are planning to take abroad; bring with you a copy of the course description(s) and syllabus (if available). You may be asked to meet with the concentration advisor upon your return to provide further information about the course(s).

Registering for U-M classes while abroad
If you spend a semester abroad through a non-U-M program, you will need to contact the U-M Office of the Registrar to get an appointment for the next registration period. Send an email to