Jacinta C. Beehner

add contact to address book

jbeehner

Associate Professor, Anthropology and Psychology; Director, Core Assay Facility (Dept. of Psychology), Co-Director of the University of Michigan Gelada Research Project

4052 East Hall, 530 Church St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Office Location(s): 4052 East Hall
jbeehner@umich.edu
webpage
project webpage

• About

When animals sexually reproduce, one sex generally invests more in the production and care of offspring than another. In mammalian species, this typically is the female due to the high costs of gestation and lactation. Such an imbalance can lead to males and females having conflicting reproductive strategies – a theoretical framework known as sexual conflict. The overarching theme of my research has been to identify situations where male and female reproductive strategies come into conflict with one another and to understand how this conflict affects both physiology and behavior. Specifically, I examine female counterstrategies to male coercive reproductive tactics, such as infanticide. I tackle this research from an evolutionary perspective while utilizing a comparative (i.e., examining the same research question across different species) and mechanistic (i.e., assessing fecal hormone profiles) approach. My study subjects have been non-human primates (baboons and geladas) living in their natural environments in Africa. These primates provide ideal study subjects because they are highly social animals with a high degree of reproductive skew. In other words, not all animals get to reproduce (the primary currency for evolution), and thus my main line of inquiry is to determine why some animals are more successful at reproduction than others.

For Beehner's most recent publications, please see her Google Scholar Profile:
    http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=hLCMegcAAAAJ&hl=en