Student Records Policy
All LSA students have an academic advising file containing admissions material, test scores, unofficial copies of academic records, memoranda, correspondence, and notes which academic advisors or members of the Academic Standards Board have made about their conversations with a student. Information of a sensitive nature may be removed from the academic advising file at the discretion of a member of the Academic Standards Board or at the request of the student and placed in a confidential Dean's file. Dean's files also are created for those students charged with some form of academic misconduct, and for other serious violations of student conduct policies.
Dean’s files are maintained in confidence by the Assistant Dean in the Office of Student Academic Affairs.
Students have the right to examine most materials in their own academic files. Students who wish to review their advising files may do so by scheduling an appointment with an academic advisor. Access to Dean's files may be obtained by contacting the Office of the Assistant Dean. Students may request duplicate copies of most information in their academic files at cost. They also may add clarifying notes and other materials to their advising files during regular business hours. Requests for deletions and additions of material from an advising file or a Dean's file should be addressed in writing to the Office of the Assistant Dean.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) governs both the release of and access to student records in the College and University. Occasionally, instructors may be contacted by parents or others to inquire about a particular student's academic record. It is important to recognize that the release of student information to a third party, including parents, requires the written permission of the respective student. If you have questions about access to student records, contact the Office of the Assistant Dean.
FERPA grants students the right:
- to inspect and review their education records;
- to request amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA; and
- to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
Access to individual student LSA advising files is restricted to official university academic advisors, members of the LSA Academic Standards Board, and clerical staff who assist in carrying out official advising or Academic Standards Board functions.
One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College or University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a judicial committee or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
LSA Faculty & Staff
- Academic Affairs
- Budget and Finance
- Chairs and Directors
- Development, Marketing & Communications (DMC)
- Facilities & Operations
- Graduate Education
- Human Resources
- Information Technology (LSAIT)
- Instructional Support Services (ISS)
- Key Administrators
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Office of the Dean
- Security and Safety
- Shared Services
- Standard Practice Guide
- Student Academic Affairs
- About Dean Nurse
- About Student Academic Affairs
- Message from the Assistant Dean
- Staff List
- Organizational Chart
- Calendar of Events
- Letters to Faculty and Instructional Staff
- Academic Calendars
- Academic Judiciary
- Dean's Files
- Disruptive Students
- Grade Grievance
- Final Exams
- Religious Holidays
- Student Class Attendance
- Undergraduate Academic Progress Report
- Testing Accommodation Center (TAC)
- Online Student File and Student Records Policy
- Advising Awards
- LSA Handbook for Faculty and Instructional Staff
- Reference Manual for Departmental Program Advising Staff
- Liaison Handbook
- Advisor Handbook
- Academic Integrity
- Wellness at Newnan
- Undergraduate Education