"I Flunked, But..." ~ CJS Fall Film Series 2012

Oct
12
2012

Add to Cal
  • Host Department: Center for Japanese Studies (CJS)
  • Date: 10/12/2012
  • Time: 7:00PM - 9:00PM

• Location: Natural Sciences Auditorium, Kraus Building (Natural Sciences), 830 North University. Please use the entrance to the building that is nearest to the Diag.

• Description:

A group of students prepare for “exam hell.” While not studying or plotting to cheat, they spend their time at a near by café to flirt with Sayoko, a pretty waitress who has feelings for one of the students, Takahashi. Takahashi attempts to cheat on the exam, but fails thanks to some funny business around a shirt and a launderette. His roommates pass and graduate from college, but unable to find jobs, they wish they were back in school. Ozu recalls, “One could say this is the flip side of 'I Graduated, But…' Those who pass and graduate in high spirits cannot land any job, while the ones who flunked can continue to bum around living off their parents’ money. Although Ryu Chishu has appeared in my previous films, it was the first time I let him have a go at a more significant role.”

LIVE music performance by Stephen Warner.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2014 Regents of the University of Michigan