Richard Ireland

Name: Richard Ireland
Graduation Year: Graduated in June of 2010; had Internships after my sophomore and junior years, both with Deloitte Consulting
LSA Major(s)/Minor(s): Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science
Job/Position Title or Description: Internships: Deloitte Consulting Human Capital Summer Scholar
Internship Organization: Deloitte Consulting

How did you learn about your internship?

Through Student Actuaries @ Michigan (S.A.M), an on campus student group for those majoring in Actuarial Science.

What did you enjoy most about your work?

The money, just kidding. In all seriousness I enjoyed the opportunity to learn from great professionals with vast knowledge and experience in their field.

Have your career goals and plans changed as a result of this internship, or are they the same?  Why? If they’ve changed, describe your new direction. If they’re the same, what excites you the most about this field?

My career goals stayed the same. I am currently working full-time for Deloitte Consulting as a Pension and Benefits Consultant. What is most exciting about my field is the fact that I am rarely doing the same thing day in and day out. There is always a new project or a new client to work on, which keeps me engaged and on my toes.

What advice would you have for a student considering doing an internship? 

If you have the opportunity to partake in an internship I would strongly encourage taking advantage of it. The hands-on experience that you get throughout the internship can be invaluable. It is more common than not that what you do in the classroom will be quite different than what you do for your daily duties on the job. While college equips you with the ability to handle the situations that you will be presented with in your career nothing beats on the job training. An internship also presents a great time to establish a network, there is truth in the old saying it’s not what you know it’s who you know. Finally if you do participate in an internship and at the end you decide, maybe this really isn’t for me, it is a lot better to find out now while you are still in school than after you have already graduated.

Would you recommend your particular internship to a student in your field of study? Why?

Absolutely, as I mentioned above many times what you do in the classroom is much different than what you will do on the job. I think at school I used Excel one time for a class project in my Math 423, while interning there wasn’t a day where I did not use Excel, in one summer I quickly realized that excel can do almost anything, you just have to know how to make it do what you want. This gave me advantage over those that had not had an internship and were not as familiar with the program. Furthermore, for my particular field of study, inside the classroom you are focused on the math and the theory behind the numbers, but at work you are applying that knowledge to a vast array of rules and regulations, which you only learn on the job. It is no longer just about getting the right answer, it is more about what is that answer telling you, why did you arrive at that answer, what does it mean to the client? While these are insights that are less likely to be learned over a summer and instead come with years and years of experience, an internship gives you a head start on building that foundation.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2014 Regents of the University of Michigan