Thursday Seminar: Adaptive evolution and coevolution of sperm - egg recognition molecules

Oct
03
2013

Add to Cal
  • Speaker: Willie Swanson, Professor of Genome Sciences, University of Washington
  • Host Department: Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (EEB)
  • Date: 10/03/2013
  • Time: 4:10PM

• Location: Room 1210, Chemistry

• Description:

Sperm and Egg

Abstract
    My lab has focused on adaptive protein evolution, with a particular focus on the function and evolution of reproductive proteins. The rapid divergence of reproductive proteins could result in speciation due to the mismatch of sperm-egg recognition molecules. Our approach is highly integrative, using proteomics, genomics, biochemical and computational approaches. We work on a variety of taxonomic groups, including abalone, plants, Drosophila and primates. I will demonstrate how the use of proteomics has been invaluable for the study of reproductive protein evolution in these systems. In particular, I will focus on how studies of molecular co-evolution can shed light on the function of reproductive proteins including predicting protein - protein interactions.

Coffee and cookies will be served at 4 p.m. 

Host: Professor Timothy James
    Contact: tyjames@umich.edu

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2014 Regents of the University of Michigan