Study Abroad

Credit Approval

The History Department encourages students to study abroad and many students take courses over the summer at US institutions near their homes. Before electing courses off-campus, it is important to discuss the classes and programs with a faculty advisor, the ADUGS  or the DUGS. Please note, this will give you a good idea how the course will fit into your program, but final approval is possible only after the course is completed and the credits transferred.

Although the university accepts off-campus credits, whether courses will count toward your major or minor and satisfy specific requirements is determined by the department. 

When transfer credits from another U.S. institution or from a study abroad program are accepted by the Credit Evaluators at the Undergraduate Admissions Office, they appear on your transcript with a department name, a level, and an “X”. For example, an area survey course from another U.S. university might appear as “History 201X,” or a course on the history of France taken at the Sorbonne in Paris might appear as “History 301X.” If you take a course in an officially sanctioned UM program through CGIS, it will appear as STDABRD XXX, with a brief title. When a course appears on your UM transcript, it does not necessarily mean that the History Department will accept it for either general major/minor credit or as a direct replacement for any particular course we offer. Different countries and institutions have different academic norms and customs, and what constitutes an upper-level course at one institution might not equal an upper-level course here.  Faculty advisors determine whether a particular course counts for History credit as well as what level it meets and whether it fulfills distribution requirements.

To obtain approval for transfer or study abroad credit, please fill out a study abroad/transfer credit approval form and bring syllabi, papers and exams to your advising appointment so that the course can be properly evaluated. 


University of Michigan's Center for Global and Intercultural Study. University of Michigan-sponsored overseas academic programs.

Global Intercultural Experience for Undergrads (GIEU)
Global educational projects that expand learning beyond traditional classroom boundaries, creating new opportunities for short-term (3 or 4 week) intercultural study of a global nature at field sites.

University of Michigan Undergraduate Admissions Office

Out-of-Residency credit information and on-line pre-evaluation requests.

University of Michigan International Institute
The Institute supports research, education, and service in international and area studies across the U-M campus.

University of Michigan International Center
Excellent resource for international academic and non-academic activities—work, study, travel.
Study Abroad
Selected Study Abroad Websites

Institute of International Education (IIE)
A global higher education and professional exchange agency and administrator of the Fulbright Program.

IIEPassport Comprehensive search engine of study abroad programs.


Scholarships for Study Abroad

University of Michigan's Center for Global and Intercultural Study


GILMAN SCHOLARSHIPS for undergraduates to study abroad. Applicants must be Pell Grant recipients. Grants are for up to $5,000.

National Security Education Program (NSEP) David L. Boren Scholarships offer a unique opportunity for U.S. undergraduates to study abroad. NSEP awards scholarships to American students for study of world regions critical to U.S. national security interests (including Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin American & the Caribbean, and the Middle East). It draws on a broad definition of national security, recognizing that the scope of national security has expanded to include not only the traditional concerns of protecting and promoting American well-being, but also the challenges of global society, including: sustainable development, environmental degradation, global disease and hunger, population growth and migration, and economic competitiveness. Acceptance of an NSEP scholarship incurs a post-program service obligation—typically an internship in a national security-related government office equal in duration to the NSEP-supported period abroad—to be fulfilled within eight years of graduation.

INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS ONLINE is a financial aid and scholarship resource for international students wishing to study abroad. At this site, you will find a comprehensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs, and other information to assist college and university students in their pursuit to study abroad.

RESOURCES FOR STUDY ABROAD (USC) links you to a variety of websites with information about programs abroad, travel and tourist information, health and safety tips, and financial tools to help you to study abroad. Information and Financial Aid sites.