Elizabeth Cole

add contact to address book

Elizabeth Cole

Professor, Women’s Studies, Psychology, and Afroamerican & African Studies; Assoc. Dean of Social Sciences

2115 LSA 500 S. State St. Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382

Office Location(s): 2115 LSA - 1382
Phone: 734.647.2115
ecole@umich.edu

• Fields of Study
    • Intersectionality
    • Qualitative methods
    • Femininity
    • Relationship between political attitudes and behaviors, particularly among African Americans and all women
  • About

My scholarship examines the social construction of categories such as gender, race, and social class through a combination of theoretical and empirical work employing both qualitative and quantitative methods. In my empirical work, I aim to develop historically specific and culturally grounded conceptualizations of race and gender to understand group differences and similarities, with special attention to the ways these social categories depend on one another for meaning and are jointly associated with outcomes. 

Current projects in my research group focus on 1) diverse women’s perceptions of femininity, their bodies and sexuality; and 2) the use of essentialist rhetoric to justify discrimination against both racial and sexual minorities in public debates over marriage law.

For a list of recent publications, visit Faculty Homepage.

• Education
    • Ph.D. Psychology (Personality), University of Michigan