Lindsay Loridon

Name: Lindsay Loridon
Graduation Year: Senior
LSA Major(s)/Minor: Communication Studies & Psychology (double major)
Job/Position Title or Description:
Development Summer Internship Program (D-SIP)
Internship Organization: Office of University Development

How did you learn about your internship?

I am a part of Dance Marathon at the University of Michigan, and one of my fellow students in to organization passed the opportunity along to me.

What did you enjoy most about your work?

I really enjoyed having the opportunity to network with people throughout the University.  I also liked learning about what the other students in my program were doing in their placements.  I got to learn about so many units at the U.

How has your experience shaped your academic life now that you’re back on campus?

I was fortunate to be invited to stay on at my placement at the Business Engagement Center.  So, I spend two days each week at my job, in addition to my normal class schedule.  In addition, I made 25 great new friends that I spend time with regularly.

Have your career goals and plans changed as a result of this internship, or are they the same?  Why? If they’ve changed, describe your new direction. If they’re the same, what excites you the most about this field?

I had never really considered development as a potential career path for myself.  However, through my internship, I learned that there are so many different positions within development that are critical to the success of the department.  Not every development job deals with asking someone for money.  There are so many people who fill supporting roles that make it possible for gift officers to do their jobs.  With this knowledge, I find myself considering a career in development.

What advice would you have for another student considering doing an internship?

Take advantage of every opportunity you are given to meet new people!  Network, network, network.  At the risk of sounding cliché, the work world is all about who you know, not what you know.  The people that I have met through my internship have all given me valuable feedback on my resume and job search, and many have been willing to make recommendations for me.

Would you recommend your particular internship to another student in your field of study? Why?

D-SIP has 3 components, which makes it very unique.  Not only are you working a full-time schedule, you are also get to take a 3-credit course in philanthropy and take professional development courses that people pay thousands for.  You get exposed to the world of development and meet so many interesting people.  Best of all, you have the chance to make 25 new best friends! 

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2014 Regents of the University of Michigan