Exploring the relation between attachment and health among highly marginalized young adults transitioning to adulthood

Jan
12
2015

Add to Cal
  • Speaker: Stephanie Cook, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Michigan
  • Host Department: Psychology
  • Date: 01/12/2015
  • Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM

• Location: 4464 East Hall

• Description:

ABSTRACT:

Close relationships with peer, family, and romantic partners are important for long-term health and well-being. Researchers have generally found that support networks provide protection from some of the social, individual, and even biological effects of marginalization on health. However, some individuals are unable to develop trusting and supportive relationships with others. Thus, I will outline three particular strands of my research within the talk.  First, I explore the context in which young adults transitioning to adulthood develop secure or insecure attachment orientations with peers and romantic partners.  Second, my work illustrates how attachment orientation contributes to short- and long-term health and health behaviors.  Third, I seek to understand how attachment “get’s under the skin” of marginalized young adults transitioning to adulthood.

BIO:

Dr. Cook is currently an Independent Postdoctoral Fellow at the National Center for Institutional Diversity at the University of Michigan where she is affiliated. Her ongoing research project utilizes daily diaries to examine how attachment anxiety and avoidance within close relationships may effect the association between daily instances of stigma and discrimination and daily stress (i.e. self-report and physiological) among gay and bisexual Black men.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2016 Regents of the University of Michigan