Ruby Tapia

add contact to address book

Associate Professor of English and Women's Studies, Director of Undergraduate Studies

Office Location(s): 3168 Angell Hall
Phone: 734.764.0327

• About

Scholarly Interests: Late 19th and 20th Century U.S. ethnic literatures; photography; race and visual culture; death and spectacle, feminist theory, Border Studies, theories of the body

My research and teaching falls between the interdisciplines of visual culture, comparative ethnic studies, gender and sexuality studies. My first book American Piet├ás: Visions of Race, Death and the Maternal (University of Minnesota, 2011) puts critical treatments of death and the maternal in conversation with more recent scholarship on affective nationalism and race in a variety of visual and literary media in order to understand how, and toward what end, maternal images work in contexts of national crises and racialized recuperation. I was also the co-editor of Interrupted Life: The Experiences of Incarcerated Women in the United States (University of California, 2010), and I continue to work on issues of incarceration and representation. My current book project is on gender in/and carceral visualities. 

• Education
    • Ph.D. in Ethnic Studies, University of California, San Diego 2002