Ruby Tapia

add contact to address book

Tapia

Associate Professor of English and Women's Studies, Director of Undergraduate Studies

Office Location(s): 3168 Angell Hall
Phone: 734.764.0327
rtapia@umich.edu

• About

Scholarly Interests: Late 19th and 20th Century U.S. ethnic literatures; photography; race and visual culture; death and spectacle, feminist theory, Border Studies, theories of the body

My research and teaching falls between the interdisciplines of visual culture, comparative ethnic studies, and gender and sexuality studies. My first book American Pietàs: Visions of Race, Death and the Maternal (University of Minnesota, 2011) puts critical treatments of death and the maternal in conversation with more recent scholarship on affective nationalism and race in a variety of visual and literary media in order to understand how, and toward what end, maternal images work in contexts of national crises and racialized recuperation. I am currently working on a new book project that considers the role of apparently disembodied — but determinedly visual — data of race and gender that has long shaped the discourses of forensic science but that has yet to be considered in critical theoretical work on either visual cultures of transnationalism, death, or the post-human.

• Education
    • Ph.D. in Ethnic Studies, University of California, San Diego 2002