Diana Carolina Sierra Becerra

add contact to address book

Diana Carolina Sierra Becerra

Doctoral Candidate in History and Women's Studies

• About

My dissertation examines how Salvadoran women negotiated within leftist coalitions and contributed to the theory and practice of leftist movements from 1965-2015. I highlight how rank-and-file women redefined revolutionary struggle in El Salvador before and during the Civil War (1980-1992). In the post-war era I explore how women remember their war-time organizing, and their role in demanding justice for victims of state repression.

I am also the Executive Coordinator of Museums without Walls. Our mission is to disseminate Salvadoran history and culture internationally, exchange best educational practices, and strength ties to Latino and Salvadoran immigrant communities. The program is an initiative of the Museum of the Word and Image (Museo de la Palabra y la Imagen), an institution based in El Salvador. I have worked with the MUPI since May 2013.

Publications:
    "How ‘Partnership’ Weakens Solidarity: Colombian GM Workers and the Limits of UAW Internationalism” WorkingUSA 17, no. 2 (2014): 239-60.

“Sex and the City: Beyond Liberal Politics and toward Holistic Revolutionary Practice.” In Queering Anarchism: Addressing and Undressing Power and Desire, ed. C.B. Daring, J. Rogue, Deric Shannon, and Abbey Volcano, 173-84. Oakland: AK Press, 2013.

• Education
    • MA, History, University of Michigan, 2013
    • BA, History, City Univ. of New York City College, 2011