Phil Myers

add contact to address book

PhilMyers.jpg

Professor Emeritus
Curator Emeritus, Museum of Zoology
Director, Animal Diversity Web

Office Location(s): 3048 Museums Building
Phone: 734.647.2206
Fax: 734.763.4080
pmyers@umich.edu
Animal Diversity Web
View Curriculum Vitae

• Affiliation(s)
    • Museum of Zoology
    • Animal Diversity Web
  • Fields of Study
    • Biosystematics and ecology of mammals
  • About

Academic background

I received my undergraduate degree from Swarthmore College (1969) and my Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley (1975).

Research interests

I am interested in the evolution and ecology of mammals. Although recently retired, in my research I continue to focus on the natural history, population biology, and systematics of small mammals, particularly bats, rodents and insectivores. My field work focuses on species in Michigan and their response to our changing climate. I am also interested in developing ways to more effectively use technology in teaching and as a means of making the resources of research museums available to all for research and teaching.

Teaching

EEB 453 - Field Mammalogy
    EEB 453, taught at the U-M Biological Station, provides an introduction to the study of mammals. Students will learn methods of studying mammals in the field by carrying out a series of research projects on the wild mammals of northern Michigan. These projects will be designed to give familiarity with areas of active research on the ecology of mammals and practical experience with the excitement and headaches of formulating hypotheses, carrying out fieldwork, and analyzing data. Some familiarity with elementary statistics is helpful but not necessary. Fulfills the LSA upper level writing requirement.

• Research Areas of Interest
    • Biosystematics and ecology of mammals
  • Graduate students
    • Judy Wan