Guidelines and Policies

Waitlists & Overrides

Our courses often fill to capacity but often enrollment shifts during the first weeks of classes. If you wish to register for a course that is closed or if you are on the waitlist for a particular course, you should attend the first two classes and ask the professor's permission to register. Until the first day of classes, overrides are issued automatically to students on the waitlist. With the beginning of the semester, overrides are processed only with the expressed permission of the professor and/or GSI. Override slips can be picked up in the main history office and should be returned with the signature of the professor or GSI. Instructors may also request overrides by emailing the history staff.

Independent Study

History 395 is the designated, all-purpose number for independent study courses. For the most self-motivated, well-organized, and ambitious students, this option is available to explore topics not otherwise covered. History 395 might involve a special research project or an intensive reading list of secondary sources in a particular field. Students must obtain the consent of a faculty member who has expertise in the topic proposed for study, and together they formulate a syllabus of individualized readings and writing assignments. Generally the student meets with the faculty supervisor biweekly for discussion and planning. History 395 can be elected for 1-4 credits (1-3 in teh Spring and Summer half-terms). A minimum of 3 credits are necessary to for the course to count toward the history major. Enrollment in an independent study course requires an override authorized by the supervising professor, who can email approval to the student service staff. 

Internship and Course Credit

The Department does not offer direct credit for internships or work experiences. However, students who participate in an internship or a job related to history might be able to arrange independent study credits by taking History 395 and producing a research project or paper stemming from the experience. As with all independent study courses, these must be arranged individually with the supervising professor.

Transfer / Study Abroad Credit Approval

Faculty advisors approve transfer and study abroad credits for the History major and minor in formal appointments made through the online advising system.  Before the meeting, you should fill out the Transfer/Study Abroad Credit Approval Form and bring the completed form as well as evidence of your coursework, syllabi and papers to your advising appointment. 


Please note that the department does not give credit for online courses. Credit from community colleges often does not transfer at levels higher than the 100 level and thus is usually not eligible to fulfill requirements for the major or minor.

Students are strongly encouraged to consult a faculty advisor or the ADUGS/DUGS about potential coursework before undertaking a study abroad semester or taking a summer course at another institution.

Grade Grievances

The History Department policy for grade appeals and other course-related grievances follows LSA guidelines.  Instructors are expected to set fair and consistent grading procedures for their courses.  If the instructor uses the grading rubric consistently for each student, then the Department assumes that the final grade is the correct grade.  However, students can inquire about a grade and subsequently initiate a grade grievance if they think that the grade was unfairly given.  

Academic Integrity

Instructors have primary responsibility for establishing and communicating clear policies on matters of academic integrity, including proper source citation and the penalties for plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty.  Students should familiarize themselves with the History Department’s general policy on academic integrity and  LSA’s extensive resources in this area.

Academic Integrity Policy (PDF)