Over the rest of this week LSA Web Services will be finalizing changes to the Slide Show content type used on all CMS websites. This change will take effect this coming Saturday (March 2, 2013). Beginning at 4 am, the CMS will unavailable until an “all clear” message is emailed. This work will take between 4 and 6 hours to complete and will affect both editing and the “live” system as well. Visitors to our “live” web sites in the early morning hours of Saturday will receive a message saying that the system is down for routine maintenance.
The improved Slide Show content type will offer users:
- captions with automated slide shows (our #1 user request)
- the ability to load random initial images in your slideshow (via a checkbox)
- the ability to temporarily take slides out of rotation without having to delete them (via a checkbox)
- the ability to post YouTube videos instead of only static images (our #2 user request)
- better compliance with accessibility standards as visitors will have more control over the speed and duration of the slide show
- improved code and a simplified, more intuitive interface
Additional details about the changes will be announced closer to completion, along with introductory training videos.
Impact on our CMS users
We anticipate little (if any) disturbance or required work on your part during this upgrade and your slideshow will look and behave much the same way it does right now.
Because the new functionality will display existing captions in the slideshow, we have a list of about 20 customers we will be contacting this week to consult with them about these changes.
Please look for communications from us about this project in the next few days. If you have any questions or concerns about this endeavor, please contact me (email@example.com).