Writing Persuasive Personal Statements
Co-Sponsored by the Rackham Graduate School
This session considers personal statements as forms of argument and focuses on their underlying rhetoric.
The workshop will:
- Consider the audience for statements of purpose and discuss how to write to meet its needs
- Review examples of calls for proposals and decode their language to see more clearly how best to respond
- Offer tips on easy ways of preparing to write and enrich the statement
- Share exercises on how to conceive of the statement as an argument
- Discuss things to avoid in statements of purpose
This workshop will be useful for any graduate student applying for fellowships, grants, or other opportunities whose applications require some form of statement of purpose. It will not address how to identify grant or fellowship opportunities.
- Courses & Registration
- Academic Calendar
Why the Liberal Arts?
- Knowing the Expectations for Your Degree
- Choosing a Major
- Cross-Campus Transfers