The Roundtable - IndiVisible: African Native American Lives in the Americas
IndiVisible: African Native American Lives in the Americas
Opening Event: Identities in Red, Black and White: A Roundtable Discussion
This program will celebrate the Indivisible exhibit’s opening. This public program will address mixed-race identities from autobiographical and storytelling perspectives and within the context of social and cultural analysis. The roundtable panelists express a mixed native identity of some kind -- whether that connection is via family ties and/or cultural ties:
• Dr. Tiya Miles, U-M professor of Afroamerican and African Studies and Native American Studies--Moderator. Bio
• Dr. Adesola Akinleye, dance scholar and founder of Dancing Strong. Bio
• Elizabeth Atkins, U-M alumna and Detroit-based best-selling novelist and journalist. Bio
• Dr. Robert Keith Collins, assistant professor of American Indian Studies at San Francisco State University. Bio
• Dr. Philip J. Deloria, U-M professor of History, American Culture, and Native American Studies. Bio
A reception and exhibit viewing will follow the discussion.
The Ann Arbor display of IndiVisible is coordinated by the University of Michigan Museum of Natural History. Support for the IndiVisible exhibit and opening event was provided by the University of Michigan College of Literature, Science, and the Arts; Museum of Natural History; Department of Afroamerican and African Studies; Native American Studies Program; Center for Engineering Diversity and Outreach; ArtsEngine; and Department of English. The Smithsonian Community Grant program, funded by MetLife Foundation, is a proud sponsor of these public programs.
IndiVisible: African-Native American Lives in the Americas was developed, produced, and circulated by the National Museum of the American Indian, the National Museum of African American History and Culture, and the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service.
For additional information:
Teaching Resources website for IndiVisible at: https://sites.google.com/a/umich.edu/indivisible-faculty-resources/home
LSA Understanding Race Theme Semester: http://UnderstandingRaceProject.org
For a map showing the location of the Duderstadt Center Gallery:
For a map showing the location of the Arthur Miller Theatre: