Asian American Psychology: Mental and Physical Health

Oct
07
2013

Add to Cal
  • Speaker: Gordon Hall, Ph.D., Professor and Director of Clinical Training, Department of Psychology, University of Oregon
  • Host Department: Psychology
  • Date: 10/07/2013
  • Time: 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM

• Location: 4448 East Hall

• Description:

Asian American psychology is the study of cultural and sociocultural influences on the behavior of Asian Americans. A major emphasis in Asian American psychology over the past 40 years has been on mental health. Asian Americans have consistently been found to underutilize mental health services. I will discuss my current research on methods to increase mental health service utilization. A physical health issue that is prominent among Asian Americans is cancer. Asian Americans are the only U.S. ethnic group for whom cancer is the leading cause of death. Unlike mental health services, Asian Americans do not underutilize medical services. However, cancer screening disparities exist for Asian Americans and I will discuss a research program that I am developing on physician cancer screening biases.  I will also introduce a project I am developing on behavioral medicine pain management for Asian American cancer patients that has the potential to address both mental and physical health issues.