With the units inside LSA migrating over to Google on July 30th, some pre-migration users have voiced a bit of concern about how it will impact the emails initiated through LSA CMS websites. After a user has migrated, if they have clicked on an e-mail link like this one, their computer has may attempt to open Microsoft Outlook, because it is the individual's computer's default program.
We assure you that the CMS webpages are coded correctly; we want people using their preferred e-mail system to communicate with us.
If you find that you are unable to change the default email program for your computer on your own, ITS has offered these instructions.
Method One: Gmail Notifier
- Download Gmail Notifier
- Windows: http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/notifier_windows.html (Windows 2000 +)
- Mac OSX: http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/notifier_mac.html (OSX 10.4 +)
- Right-click Gmail Notifier in the taskbar, select 'Options'.
- Check the box next to 'Use Gmail for Internet mailto: links'.
- Confirm settings by clicking 'OK'.
Method Two: Browser Extensions and Configuration
Browser Dependant Method
- Click wrench icon at the top-right of the browser window.
- Select 'Options' from the menu.
- Select 'Extensions' from the left navigation menu
- Click 'Get More Extensions'.
- Search for 'Mailto for gmail'
- Install extension
- Restart Chrome
- Click the main 'Firefox' menu at the top-left of the browser.
- Select 'New Tab', then 'Options'.
- Select 'Application' tab in the new window that pops up.
- Select 'Gmail' for the 'mailto' content type.
** This method is verified to work with Mozilla Firefox 10.0. Older versions may require an alternative add-on; for example, 'Send Mail in Browser 0.3' works like a charm.