The LSA Content Management System has been designed and deployed to create positive web experiences for external audiences and to facilitate consistent web updates by staff without programming expertise across the College. The following are among the features of the current version of the software:
(Underlined Bolded Text highlights areas of improvement or enhancement as a direct result of customer feedback)
- HTML-less Editing: Update your content without having to know HTML. Get started with your website almost immediately: Upload images, create blocks of text, add news or events items simply by filling in form fields.
- Shared Content: By learning to think of web content as individual pieces of information rather than just an entire web page, you can begin to devise a strategy where you re-use content across different pages. Updating the content instance in one place updates the content everywhere.
- Versioning: Create different versions of your content and have the system track those versions for you. Use this feature to ensure you don't erase valuable old information that you may need again or to rotate between seasonal versions of a single piece of content.
- Simple Site Modification: A new site-specific configuration file allows LSA programmers to make some alterations to your site more quickly and easily than ever before.
Directories and Faculty Publications
- Robust Directories: Organize your faculty and staff lists and provide each with a robust personal profile page that includes contact information, educational history, bios, academic interests, and more.
- Linked and Autonomous Profiles and Publications: Faculty profiles can be linked to information about specific faculty publications, and different departments can choose to display which of those publications are most relevant to them.
- Unique Sub-directories: Sub-directories and lists of faculty/staff can be created by classifying particular profiles (e.g., faculty, emeritus faculty, undergraduate committee, et cetera). Once classified, a profile will appear in the appropriate sub-lists.
- Importable Contacts: Users may download contact information into their Outlook contacts by clicking on the vCard link in any profile
Events, News, and RSS
- Dynamic Display: Add events and news to a dynamic calendar. Your homepage can be set to automatically display the next several events and most recent news.
- Dynamic Search: The main events page includes a clickable calendar and search function to find any event.
- Event Series: Create series of recurring or related events easily using the "event scheduler." You may edit any individual event or that entire series later on.
- Printable Calendar: A traditional, month-at-a-glance display of upcoming events is available for printing.
- Importable Events: Web visitors can add an event to their Outlook or Mac calendars by clicking the iCal link on any event page.
- Interdepartmental Events: Associate your events page to related academic units so you can cross-display relevant content.
- Unique Sub-classifications: Classify your news and events to create meaningful subpages and sub-lists by specific topics or categories.
- Outbound RSS: Visitors can subscribe to your news and events pages using RSS (Real Simple Syndication) feeds.
- Inbound RSS: Display other websites' RSS feeds on your site by copying and pasting the other site's feed into your site.
- Video Content: Upload any of several common video formats into the CMS; it will transcode the file into a web-friendly Flash video format and allow you to embed the video (like YouTube) almost anywhere on your site.
- Batch Uploading: Upload multiple images in one large batch if you want to create a photo gallery. Take advantage of various gallery-specific image formats to create interesting "lightbox" and "slideshow" effects for your images.
- In-line Editing: Re-size an image as you upload it using the embedded image manipulation tool.
- Slide Show: Users can now add images to a Slide Show content type that can be displayed as a photo gallery or single image that acts as a more literal slideshow.
- Revamped Training and Support: LSA Development, Marketing & Communications offers a full training and support program to help you learn the software and become independent in making updates without advanced technical knowledge.
- Fewer Pop-ups: Users of the previous 7.3 version of the CMS will notice far fewer pop-up windows to update content. The "Region Config" tool now handles what used to be several pop-up windows all within one screen.
- Dynamic Home Slideshow: Change your homepage graphics with more freedom than ever available previously on CMS websites. Switch between static images, animated slideshows, captioned images, and a clickable slideshow by uploading the images you want to use, adding them to your homepage slideshow, and selecting how you want those images displayed from a series of checkboxes.
- Homepage Flexibility: Multiple, editable regions on the home page allow for varied types of content to be displayed in an intentional, organized manner
- Faster Publishing: High-Performance delivery and page-level caching ensure a faster time from editing to making content live.
- Web Analytics: Google Analytics will be deployed with every site in OpenText 7.6