Marian Sarah Parker Scholars (MSP) Program

The Marian Sarah Parker Scholars Program (MSP) was named after one of the first female graduates of the U of M College of Engineering. The Marian Sarah Parker Scholars Program encourages high-achieving women in engineering, in their junior year of study, to consider pursuing graduate degrees. The selection is based on the student's academic achievement and the potential to continue their studies into graduate school. The program includes a series of workshops focused on graduate education with an academic internship opportunity.

The Parker Scholars Program begins with the Fall Term Orientation; Workshops will be conducted throughout Winter term. Components include:

Academic Workshops:
Two workshops focusing on graduate school and research careers will be held Winter term, one in February and one in March. (Dinner is served at every workshop.)

Career Options with a Graduate Engineering Degree
Faculty and professionals from industry discuss their decisions to pursue graduate degrees in engineering and the opportunities open to them as a result of obtaining an advanced degree.

Going to Graduate School: What Every Undergraduate Needs to Know Before Applying
This program provides the student with everything they need to know about the graduate school application process, including funding, letters of recommendation, the GRE, what you need to know about a graduate department, and much more.

Alternative make-up assignments will be assigned to students unable to attend the workshops with an acceptable excuse.

Academic Internship:
After Parker Scholars complete the workshop component, they are eligible for a paid internship with a faculty member in the College of Engineering to gain knowledge and information about graduate research. 

A 160-hour research experience with a faculty member is the next major component of the program upon completion of the workshops. Participants are requested to come to the Women in Science and Engineering Program office and look through the "Binder" of research projects submitted by faculty and research scientists; make copies of the research projects of interest to them; and arrange a meeting with the professor to discuss his/her research project. Once a project has been decided upon, the "Internship Form" must be filled out by the student 

Additional Information

MSP Travel Grant. Travel Grant applications are available in the WIE office for MSP Scholars. Limited funds are available to supplement students who wish to attend special conferences or activities related to their research or area of interest. Preference will be given to students who are presenting. Applications for funds should be submitted at least one month prior to the travel date.

Marian Sarah Parker Scholars FAQs

How was I selected as a MSP Scholar? You were selected based on your Cumulative GPA; third-year term; and potential for attending graduate school.

What should I do if I cannot attend one of the sessions? Sessions will only be excused for exams or illness. A comprehensive make-up assignment will be assigned.

What is the process for selecting an internship? Come to the office and look through the MSP binder containing research projects., make copies of those internships that interest you., and arrange a meeting with the professor to discuss his/her research project. Once a project has been decided upon, the "Internship Form" must be filled out by the student and returned to our office for processing. and returned to our office for processin

What questions should I ask during an interview for the research internship? We will supply you with a short list of questions.

During which terms can I do my internship? Any semester following the winter semester; spring, summer, or fall.

Who sets the days and hours for the internship? You and your professor will agree upon an acceptable schedule.

If I choose to take credit hours instead of payment, do I register for Independent Study? Yes, and you will need to obtain the Independent Study course number from your department.

If I choose not to participate, how should I inform your office? Simply email us or call the office.

Nicole Panyard, Secretary, Women in Science and Engineering Program Office npanyard@umich.edu 647-7012

Cinda-Sue Davis, Director, Women in Science and Engineering Program csdavis@umich.edu 647-7012 or 615-4455

Debbie Taylor, Director, Women in Science and Engineering Office dpoet@umich.edu 647-7014

MSP Faculty Interest Forms:

MS Word Form

PDF Form