Meet Current Students

Here's what WISE RP sophomores say about the WISE RP:

Crystal Fletcher
Peer Mentor
Wayne, Michigan

I was really nervous when I came to U of M, but being a part of the WISE Residence Program eased my transition into this academically rigorous environment. In the process, I've also been able to meet awesome people and build a strong support system. This small community has helped me figure out which opportunities I should chase after and gave me the confidence I needed to be successful here at U of M. This program was by far my favorite part of freshman year.

Rosalind Duma
Peer Mentor
Howell, Michigan

Before joining WISE RP, I was really anxious about my transition from high school to college. I grew up in a small town where I basically knew everyone, so the thought of going to a big school in a big city where I had no prior connections was overwhelming. Fortunately, WISE RP supported me every step of the way. Actually living in a learning environment encouraged me to excel in school more than I believe I would have in other dorms. WISE RP taught me to stop following the stereotype of women being quiet and passive and now I am not afraid to raise my hand in class or speak in front of a large audience. I have become more aware of some of the adversities we face and have also learned how to prevent some of the obstacles along my journey through life.

Ana Reyes
Peer Mentor
Buffalo, New York

WISE RP has been a huge contributor to my success and happiness at Michigan. One thing I love about WISE is the mentorship program. Whether I needed help with classes, finding career opportunities, or life in general, I could always count on the older WISE girls to give me great advice. When I first came to Michigan, I envisioned a competitive and intimidating environment. But in WISE, I found a community that builds each other up and celebrates the successes of every member. WISE has provided me with the confidence I need to take advantage of Michigan’s countless resources. I’ve also gained the love and support of life-long friends.

Leila Syal
Peer Mentor
East Lansing, Michigan

Being in WISE RP has helped me in many different ways. I know that I have gained confidence as a women in an engineering field. Being a strong individual helps, but having the support from the community of WISE RP and the knowledge that you are not alone in these tough, male-dominated fields makes all the difference. The circle of friends that you make in WISE RP is invaluable to get you through your first year!

Here's what WISE RP first-years say about the WISE RP:

Jessica Schnabel
Hartland, Michigan

Major: Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (class of 2019), minor in German

Activities: I'm involved with SWE, the Michigan Sailing team, and Mswing (a swing dance club I formed) I'm also going to Germany for 10 weeks this summer. 

Words of Wisdom: WISE has been the best part of my college experience, I've met the most amazing people in WISE and I know I will be friends with these girls for the rest my life.

Brianna Kennedy
Southfield, Michigan

Activities: I am a photographer for Black Book which is the yearbook for black students at the university, a mass member of the Black Student Union, a  University of Michigan Student ambassador, a Kinesiology Student ambassador, a Women in Science and Engineering member of course, and I was involved in peer mentorship during my first semester. 

Words of Wisdom: In WISE RP I meet a lot of great friends that I'll be in contact with the remainder of my time here and I can see us staying in contact past graduation. Being in WISE RP allowed me to open my eyes up to the many differences and possibilities that are available to me, not just in the school of Kinesiology, which I wouldn't have known about without being in the program.

Shannon Wood

Jackson, Michigan

WISE RP has been one the best decisions I have made during my college career so far. Coming in to Michigan I was intimidated by the size of the school and being in a new city, but WISE RP made the University small for me. I enjoy taking classes that individuals living around me are taking and learning together ways that we can handle the obstacles that lie ahead of us in the classroom, the workforce, and just anywhere in life. Here at the University of Michigan I am involved in research at the Extracorporeal Life Support Lab, work in the Dining Hall, and tutor children through Circle K. Without the support from WISE RP, I believe that participating in all my organizations, on top of class, would have been a lot more difficult. 

Anna Li Aguirre

Ypsilanti, Michigan

Major: Double major in Chemistry and Neuroscience

Extracurricular: Research assistant in a clinical psychology lab through UROP, Neuroscience Student Association member, WISE RP recruitment team member

Words to share about my time in WISE RP: I have loved my time in the program! The people are amazing, and they really do want you to succeed and help you in any way they can. WISE RP made what would have been bumpy college transition into a smoother one, and it was the perfect way for me to ease into college without getting overwhelmed.