Undergraduate

In 2013, 49 students graduated with a major in Women’s Studies (a medium-sized major in the College of LSA), along with 77 students who completed academic minors in the department: 62 minored in Gender and Health (the second most popular minor in the College, Environment is first), 2 minored in the study of Gender, Race, and Nation, and 13 minored in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Sexuality Studies.

While Psychology is usually the most popular field for our major and minors, the range of student interests is truly extraordinary:

• All of the social sciences, from  Political Science through Sociology and Anthropology
  • Most of the humanities, including Art & Design, English, and Philosophy
  • Interdisciplinary programs like Afroamerican and African Studies, Latina/o Studies, Museum Studies, Environment,  Communication Studies, International Studies, and Community Action and Social Change
  • Biological Sciences and Engineering
  • Mathematics and Statistics.

What undergraduate students say about Women's Studies

"Women's Studies is a rich and diverse department, a place where deep learning takes place.  Each student creates strong bonds with professors and classmates.  Women's Studies is more than a department, it is a community of learning."

"Women's Studies prepared me to function in the world as an open and analytical being."

"In Women's Studies I learned about privilege and oppression and found a community that is super passionate about fighting for a more equal and just society. I had no idea how interested I was in gender and sexuality studies until I came to college!"

"I learned a great deal about how Women’s Studies intersects with other fields such as science and technology, political science, psychology. Its community service orientation not only contributed to my personal growth, but also was a useful tool in the job search."

"Women in traditionally male dominated fields need to develop survival skills. They need to know how to support themselves and be advocates for themselves. A Women’s Studies education teaches this."

"The Women’s Studies Department offers an entirely different U-M experience with small classes, a sense of community, outstanding faculty and a broad view of the world."