U-M students:  Make a Women's Studies advising appointment online.

The purpose of departmental advising is to help you to formulate and reach your own educational goals while also making sure that you understand the objectives and requirements of the major or minor.

Examples of when you need to see a Women’s Studies advisor include:

  • Declaring the major or minor
  • Considering what major or minor to choose, but requiring specific details about the requirements in the major or minor before making your decision
  • Deciding to double major
  • Completing a senior major or minor release
  • Requesting transfer or study abroad credits to be approved for your major
  • Mapping out a way to fit in all the courses you need to graduate

You’ll find a certain amount of red tape in your relationship with an advisor, such as declaring the major or minor, or completing the senior release. In the process of doing the paperwork, advisors will also help you to make the most of the opportunities that Women’s Studies has to offer.

A general advisor (located in 1255 Angell Hall, phone 734.764.0332) deals with general LSA degree requirements (those that do not depend on your choice of major), while a departmental  advisor deals with the requirements specific to a given major or minor. Thus, if you have questions about your distribution or race & ethnicity courses, you should see a general advisor, but if you are concerned about your cognates, required courses, or allowable substitutes in your major or minor, you’ll need to see a departmental advisor.

Advising Appointments

To make an appointment for major or minor advising in Women's Studies, please click here. There are walk-in advising hours on Fridays, 10:00-11:30am during the term  in 1122 Lane Hall, 204 S. State St.  If you have a simple question you may also e-mail Advisor in winter 2014 term are Prof. Wang Zheng, Prof. Emily Lawsin, and Donna Ainsworth.  For advising appointments, please come to 1122 Lane Hall, 204 S. State Street (southwest corner of E. Washington St.). The staff there will direct you to your advisor’s office.

Other Advising Resources