Denise Kozikowski received her PhD from UCLA in 2004 studying cross-cultural health practices. She is an Academic Advisor in the Newnan Academic Advising Center. One of her favorite aspects of advising students is helping them discover where their passions meet their strengths.
Some of her favorite research projects have been studying the traditional Navajo birth with a Navajo singer (hataalii) in Tsaile, AZ, working with Tibetan midwives in Dharmsala, India, and studying breast cancer in post-socialist Czech Republic. One of her favorite aspects of advising students is helping them discover where their passions meet their strengths! She especially loves guiding students to turn their obstacles into successes.
With the support of the Student Success Committee at the Newnan Advising Center, she has created Mindfulness@Umich and offers 30-minute mindfulness drop-in sessions twice a week. Students attend these sessions to increase their focus and concentration, improve their study habits, and to support their general well-being.
In the summer of 2014, she co-lead(with Denise Guillot) a GIEU trip to Ecuador that took students deep into the Amazon Rainforest. Students were trained in mindfulness to cultivate a holistic and objective perspective of issues related to conservation in this region.
Denise's Mindfulness Training:
She received training in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) through the University of Massachusetts, Center for Mindfulness under the direction of Jon Kabat-Zinn and Saki Santorelli. She completed the Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Training led by Zindel Segal and Susan Woods.
- Learning to Breathe Workshop, Patricia Broderick, 3/2015
- Compassion Workshop, Kristin Neff, 1/2014
- IMCW, Intimacy With Life, Tara Brach, James Baraz, Pat Coffey, Jonathan Foust 4/2013
- Mindfulness Workshop, Paul Fulton, 1/2013
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy, Segal & Woods, 8/2011
- IMCW, Intimacy With Life, Tara Brach, Larry, Yang, Pat Coffey, Jonathan Foust 4/2010
- MBSR in Mind-Body Medicine, Kabat-Zinn & Santorelli, 9/2009
- MBSR Practicum, Trish Magyari, 5/2009
- Integrative Yoga Therapy, RYT200, Diane Finlayson, 5/2007
- MBSR, Trish Magyari, 2004
To learn more about the mindfulness drop-in sessions, please visit Mindfulness@UMICH.