How To Repeat a Course

Repetition of a course that varies in content from term to term is permitted only under certain conditions.

Any course that you have previously completed, regardless of the grade you received the first time, is considered a repeat. You elect a repeat through Wolverine Access, just like any other new course election.

In general, you can not receive credit for the same course twice, unless the content of the course changes from term to term and the course listing specifically says: "May be repeated for credit with permission." Thus if you repeat a course that you have previously completed with a grade of 'D-' or above, then the second election won't count as hours earned toward graduation.

If you want to repeat a course that you have failed, or you just want to repeat to improve your grade, you should know that the original grade remains on your transcript and does not get revised or averaged. The new grade appears as a separate entry under the new term of election. If your original grade was any sort of D, then the new grade will be averaged into your GPA just like any other grade even though the election does not earn hours toward graduation. The course will be marked REP for "Repetition." If your original grade was a 'C-' or above, then the new grade will be visible but will NOT count into your GPA. This election will be marked NFC for "Not for Credit."

Common Questions about Repeating Courses

Out of Sequence Courses
Students should assume that once they take an in-residence course in a sequence (chemistry, mathematics, language, and others), they cannot receive credit for taking a prior course in the sequence.

Grading for a Two-Term Course (Y)
A few courses are approved as "two-term" sequences (approval has to be granted by the LSA Curriculum Committee). An instructor can report a Y grade at the end of the first-term course to indicate work in progress.