1. Is this degree considered as "good" as the AB or the BS?

    Yes, the BGS is a proven and respected degree which gives you flexibility in combining academic disciplines and still prepares you for your next steps after graduation. In fact, a recent study showed no difference between law school and medical school acceptance rates for U-M BGS graduates versus AB/BS graduates.

  2. How many non-LSA credits does the BGS allow me to take?

    You may take up to 20 non-LSA credits within your degree. Not every course offered by other units within the University are accepted by LSA for your degree. There is a list of exceptions.

  3. What will my concentration be if I declare a BGS?

    A BGS does not have a concentration by definition. Many students, however, do complete most if not all of the concentration requirements of a favorite academic discipline. Anyone looking at your transcript will see where you focused your academic work.

  4. Do I have to do Distribution and Foreign Language requirements?

    The BGS does not require any Distribution or Foreign Language (RC students do need to complete the RC language proficiency requirement). Many BGS students, however, do take foreign language courses, and also find that they have fulfilled a distribution pattern without even thinking about it.

  5. How do I declare the BGS?

    In order to declare the BGS degree, you fill out a declaration from which you obtain from the Newnan LSA Academic Advising Center in 1255 Angell. You must meet with a BGS advisor to declare. You also are encouraged to meet with a BGS advisor throughout your academic work to shape the degree toward your specific needs and interests and to make sure that you are aware of all the options available to you.

  6. Should I just pick out three departments and take 20 credits in each?

    The better strategy is to consider what academic subjects, skills and experiences you want to study and find courses that combine to produce the full experience you want. Usually you will find related courses in many more than just three departments.

  7. Can I take any of my upper division courses pass/fail?

    Yes, you may include pass/fail graded courses in your upper division work.

  8. What happens if I take more than 20 upper level courses in one department?

    Nothing prevents you from taking more than the maximum credits in a single division (SUBJECT), but you will be able to count only 20 of those credits toward this particular requirement. Extra courses in a division (SUBJECT) could be used as electives toward graduation. (Be sure to remember that any credits beyond 60 from a single department will not count toward the 120 credits total you need to graduate.)

  9. Can I use transfer credits toward my upper level requirement?

    Yes, appropriate transfer credit may be used toward this requirement. Check with your BGS advisor about your specific situation.

  10. If I have to have 60 upper level credits, how many lower level credit hours do I have to have?

    There is no minimum number of lower level credit hours that you have to take. You may take as few or as many as you like as long as you meet the 60 upper level requirement.


Bachelor in General Studies Degree Program

Newnan LSA Academic Advising Center
1255 Angell Hall
435 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48103-1003

p: (734) 764-0332
fax: (734) 764-2772
e-mail: ask.bgs.advising@umich.edu