Frequently Asked Questions About the QR Requirement

1. How do I know if a course counts for QR?
  2. Can a QR class also count for Distribution, or my Concentration?
  3. Can I use AP credit to meet the QR requirement?
  4. Can I use transfer credit to meet the QR requirement?
  5. Can I take a QR class pass/fail?
  6. Do I have to do anything special to make sure that a course I take from the term's approved list is counted for this requirement?
  7. Are only math courses used for QR?

1.   How do I know if a course counts for QR?

Courses approved to meet the QR requirement for a particular term are listed in that term's LSA Course Guide.

2.   Can a QR class also count for Distribution, or my Concentration?

Yes, it is possible for a course to meet QR and part of the distribution requirement at the same time or for your QR class to be part of your concentration if it qualifies.

3.   Can I use AP credit to meet the QR requirement?

No, AP credit cannot be used to satisfy this requirement.

4.   Can I use transfer credit to meet the QR requirement?

Yes, it is possible for a course from another college to satisfy QR. However, you must petition the Academic Standards Board and present a course description and syllabus which clearly demonstrates that the course was taught with an approach which meets the College's goals for this requirement. Approval is not automatic.

5.   Can I take a QR class pass/fail?

As long as the course is not from your department of concentration or being used for your concentration, you can take it pass/fail.

6.   Do I have to do anything special to make sure that a course I take from the term's approved list is counted for this requirement?

If you elect an approved course from the QR list, the Senior Audit check automatically catches and notes that the requirement has been satisfied. You do not have to do anything special when you add a QR course.

7.   Are only math courses used for QR?

Actually QR courses may come from a wide range of disciplines representing the natural and social sciences as well as some areas of the humanities. You may find QR courses in Astronomy, Chemistry, Communication, Economics, Physics, Environmental Studies and Sociology, for instance, as well as in Math.