U-M Department of English
U-M English Home

Undergraduate

Advising Information

Welcome to the University of Michigan Department of English Academic Advising and Student Services page. You must see a Major Advisor in order to declare a Major in English. In order to graduate you must see both a Major Advisor and an LSA Senior Auditor for your senior audit. You are encouraged to visit with a Major Advisor at least once a semester.

If you would like to make an appointment with an English Major Advisor or Peer Advisor, please use the following link:

» https://webapps.lsa.umich.edu/AdvAppts/AA_StuSelfSvc1.aspx?ctgy=ENG

NOTE: The above link is for scheduling appointments to speak with English advisors ONLY. If you need to speak with an LSA advisor, please visit the Newnan LSA Academic Advising Center > site for more information.

For more information about advising appointments, please see our Undergraduate Advising Appointments section.

Back by popular demand — our Peer Advisors have advising appointments as well as walk-in hours.

Have a quick question about the English program? Haven't had time to make an appointment to declare your major? Come speak to one of our English Peer Advisors in our new Undergraduate Student Lounge at 3200 Angell Hall.

Kristy Minielly:
Appt Hours: Monday, 3-5pm; Tuesday, 10-11am; Friday, 10am-12pm

Kelly Nhan:
Appt Hours: Monday, 11am-1:30pm; Wednesday, 11am-1:30pm

Katie Stark:
Appt Hours: Tuesday, 11am-1:30pm; Thursday, 12-2:30pm

About Our Peer Advisors:

Kristy Minielly, Senior, 2013

Walk-in Hours: Monday, 3-5pm; Tuesday, 10-11am; Friday, 10am-12pm

Kristy MiniellyMy name is Kristy and I am a rising senior, who is double majoring in English and Political Science. Over the past three years, I have taken English classes in everything from Middle English to Rust Belt Literature and am excited to take more this year! I chose to be an English major because I love to read and write and feel that English is incredibly useful for perfecting writing and communication skills.  For two summers, I have interned in Washington DC at a large nonprofit and at the Department of Education, which allowed me to combine my interests in English and Political Science in a professional way. In my free time, I enjoy reading, writing, traveling, and trying new restaurants with family and friends. I am incredibly honored to be a peer advisor and am looking forward to sharing my love for the English major and hearing about the English experiences of others! If you have any questions regarding the major, interning, classes, want to share a favorite poem, or just want to chat, please stop by! I am looking forward to meeting you!

Kelly Nhan, Junior, 2013

Walk-in Hours: Monday, 11am-1:30pm; Wednesday, 11am-1:30pm

Kelly NahnI am a junior majoring in English and Women's Studies. Originally from Connecticut, I transferred after my freshman year into the University of Michigan and have loved my college experience here so far. I decided to study English because in this program I am able to combine my love for literature and a thirst for understanding and critical thinking, in addition to enjoying a flexible outlook for my professional career in the future.  As well as peer advising in the Undergraduate English Department, I am a part of SAPAC's Networking, Publicity, and Activism student volunteer group on campus. Along with my passion for reading and social justice, I enjoy exploring new cities, drinking coffee, listening to indie music, and eating good food. I look forward to meeting with my fellow English majors to discuss academic or professional interests, or even learn about their own experience here in the English department. 

Katie Stark, Junior, 2013

Walk-in Hours: Tuesday, 11am-1:30pm; Thursday, 12-2:30pm

Appt Hours: Tuesday, 11am-1:30pm; Thursday 12-2:30pm

Katie StarkMy name is Katie and I am a junior studying English with a minor in Gender and Health through the Women's Studies department. Over the past three years, I have combined my love for English and social justice by taking English classes that focus on the experiences of marginalized people, anywhere from Abolition Literature to The Newest Americans, immigrants to the United States. Elsewhere on campus, I have done research to put together a sociology course. I hope to use the reading, writing, and critical analysis skills that I have learned in English to help me pursue a graduate degree in Public Health. I'm honored to be able to help other English students as a Peer Advisor, and I can't wait to meet everyone and learn about their experiences!

Peer Advisors are located in 3200 Angell Hall

Dept. of English Language and Literature

home mission statement sitemap contact

U-M English on Facebook
U-M English on Facebook
U-M English on iTunes U
U-M English on YouTube

435 S. State Street, 3187 Angell Hall
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1003
Phone: (734) 764-6330 Fax: (734) 763-3128