The Beinecke Scholarship is awarded to juniors who are planning graduate work in the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
Applicants should have the following:
- excellent academic records; winning applicants typically have a 3.7 GPA or above.
- recommendations from faculty who can speak to their promise of success in a graduate program,
- and must be able to demonstrate a history of receiving financial aid.
- Additionally, nominees must be endorsed by their institutions.
Please contact Henry Dyson for endorsement information. For consideration please submit each of the following as a single packet by the second Monday of January:
2. A personal statement of 1,000 words or less describing your background, interests, plans for graduate study and career aspirations. The statement should include a discussion of some experiences and ideas that have shaped those interest, plans and aspirations.
3. A current resume or CV
4. A financial data sheet completed by a financial aid officer certifying that you qualify for need-based financial aid (available on the Beinecke website). NOTE: Please do not include your SSN on the financial aid form. We will only submit the SSN for the official nomination to the Beinecke Foundation.
Combine all materials into a single PDF entitled "LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_BeineckeApplication." Submit the application as a PDF attachment to email@example.com with "Beinecke Application" in the subject line.
You should also request three letters of recommendation from faculty who can attest to your intellectual curiosity, character, and potential for advance graduate study. Letters of recommendation should be "STUDENTLAST_STUDENTFIRST_ADVISORLAST" and emailed directly to Henry Dyson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copies of the application form, financial aid data sheet, and other details are available on the Beinecke website.
The deadline for submission of applications to the UM Beinecke Committee is the second Monday of January by 12 noon.