History

Newberry

The Kelsey Museum's rich institutional history begins with artifacts acquired by its namesake, Professor of Latin Francis W. Kelsey, between the 1890s and the 1920s. As of 1928 Kelsey's archaeological collections began to be housed in a turreted stone building on the central campus that the University had leased from the Student Christian Association. Not until 1953 did that building, with its beautiful Tiffany window, become known as the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology. As of 2009 our much-expanded collections are both stored and exhibited in the William E. Upjohn Exhibit Wing, a state-of-the art addition to that old stone building.