The field of Physics stands intellectually vital and vigorously supported by government and industry. Our students are in demand and can choose from a wide spectrum of employment opportunities. Physics is an integral scientific component of the liberal arts environment and contributes to the scholarly activities of the College of Literature Science and Arts and the University of Michigan in a fundamental manner.
As a Department, our mission is to enhance the goals and ideals of the University by providing an incisive and enriching education for our students, by making lasting contributions at the forefront of human understanding, and by communicating the excitement of scientific discovery to our fellow citizens.
- To excel in the areas of physics we practice
- To provide an outstanding education for our students
- To assure a nurturing environment for the professional advancement of our faculty and staff
- To shape the intellectual growth of the institution
- To disseminate scientific knowledge to citizens
- To be a resource base for Michigan industry
External Research Funding (2012)
- Over $15.1 million