The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) at the University of Michigan welcomes transfer applicants from community colleges, two- and four-year colleges, and universities. A transfer applicant is defined as any student who has attended any institution of higher education after high school graduation on any basis for any period of time. UM—Dearborn and UM—Flint students are considered new transfer students.

The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts is a liberal arts college inside a premier, public research university. You will ll receive a broad and diverse liberal arts education that prepares you to shape your future. LSA is home of the university's natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities, and hosts over 70 departments and programs. Many of our 1,100 faculty are members of multiple departments, which allows for enhanced learning across the disciplines.

The decision to transfer to another institution can be a difficult and exciting decision. It is important to understand the opportunities, policies, and resources at the new institution. This website is designed to assist you in exploring the exceptional programs and opportunities you will have as a transfer student in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts.

To apply as a transfer student or to schedule a campus visit please contact Admissions.

If you have already been accepted to the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, please sign up for an orientation program through the Office of New Student Programs.

Transfer Student Information Session and Walking Tour


Transfer to Michigan

Portal site for students interests interested in transferring to the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

Transfer Orientation +

Any student transferring to the University of Michigan from another institution (including UM-Flint and UM-Dearborn) must attend one of the Transfer Orientation Sessions.   Transfer orientation will serve as an introduction to the University community and the College of Literature, Science and the Arts. During a one-day orientation, you will complete all necessary procedures for class registration including placement testing, general information sessions, and academic advising. Orientation also gives you a chance to meet other new students.

It is imperative that you sign up for an orientation session through the Office of New Student Programs.

For a successful orientation, please prepare in the following ways:

  • Familiarize yourself with the general degree requirements as well as look over individual majors (majors) and minors.
  • Browse the online courseguide and make a list of courses you would be interested in taking.  The online courseguide lists course offerings and descriptions in every LSA department.  Courses are also listed according to requirements they fulfill.
  • Look over your Credit Evaluation, which you will receive from Admissions.   Write down any questions you may have.  An academic advisor will review the credit evaluation with you during orientation.
  • Approximately two weeks before your orientation date, the registration system, WolverineAccess, will be available for you to backpack courses.   WolverineAccess contains information about class time and locations and the most up-to-date enrollment figures for all classes.  You can backpack several of your course selections before you come for orientation.  Conveniently, this allows you to save the information about classes that interest you; the backpack does not save you a place in the courses. 

We look forward to working with you during orientation.  Please come to campus for orientation with the uniqname and working password that were issued to you.  You will not be able to register for courses without them.  Please do not change your password until you have successfully registered for courses at orientation.

Transfer Credit Policy +

  • Students who transfer from a two-year college are permitted 60 transfer credits (62 if an Associate's degree requiring 62 credits has been completed). 
  • [Prior to Spring 2014, LSA had the following policy:  "Students who have completed 60 credits toward an LSA degree cannot earn degree credit for courses elected at a two-year college."
    Please note, in order for LSA to accept community college credits toward the 120-credit  requirement after the student has already completed 60 credits, the student needs to be enrolled in the community college course as of Spring 2014 or later.  LSA  will not allow students who took the course prior to Spring 2014 and who had >60 credits at the time they took the community college course, to count toward their 120 credits regardless of when they send their transfer transcript to U-M.  Because the Curriculum Committee explicitly decided to make the new policy effective this Spring 2014 and NOT make it retroactive, the Academic Standards Board will not entertain petitions for students who took community college credit prior to Spring 2014 and want it to count toward their 120-credit  requirement. 
    As always, 
    community college credit taken prior to Spring 2014 can count toward other LSA general requirements regardless of how many credits the student has completed, including BS and LSA credit, as well as distribution.]
  • Up to 60 credits may be transferred from the Flint and Dearborn campuses of the University of Michigan. Courses completed at these campuses are defined as out-of-residence credit (effective September 1, 1976), even though they carry Michigan Honor Points.
  • Even if a course is transferable, credit is not allowed if the final grade earned is "C-" or lower. This includes all transferable credit earned outside the University of Michigan. (All credits and grades from the University of Michigan-Dearborn and -Flint campuses transfer.)
  • Credit cannot be transferred from another school if that credit is also being counted toward another baccalaureate or graduate or professional degree. "Special Joint Degree Programs" are exceptions to this policy.

Credit from Dual Enrollment Programs while in High School

Students interested in electing out-of-residence credit should consult  the Office of Undergraduate Admissions' website ( ) about transfer equivalencies and an academic advisor about the appropriateness of the intended elections. Tables of transfer equivalencies are available on the College website:

Students who wish to take a course not listed on the equivalency tables may have that course evaluated by using a Transfer Credit Equivalency form (formerly the Out-of-Residence form).  This form can be completed online at

If credit elected out-of-residence is to be included in a plan for the major, approval should be obtained in advance from a department advisor.

The language requirement cannot be fulfilled by out-of-residence credit that is elected after the student has begun degree enrollment in LSA unless the appropriate language department has approved that plan in advance.

Seniors planning to elect the final portion of the senior year out of residence should contact the LSA Academic Auditors prior to leaving campus for information about procedures to avoid a delay of graduation.

LSA students who elect courses which duplicate Advanced Placement or transfer credit will receive degree credit and honor points (for graded courses) for the LSA election while credit for the duplicated Advanced Placement or transfer courses will be deducted. The only exceptions to this policy are courses transferred from another school or college on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan or from UM-Flint or UM-Dearborn. In these cases, courses elected in LSA which duplicate the transfer courses are posted on the academic record as "repetitions" or "not for credit" elections. The original course elections continue to appear on the academic record for degree credit, and grades earned in these courses continue to be computed in the grade point average.

Students electing courses in LSA which are prior to those in a course sequence for credits already awarded via transfer credit will have the transferred credits deducted, and the credits and honor points earned by the LSA elections will stand. This could mean losing credit for several courses while retaining credit for only one (for example, transfer credit for one or more terms of foreign language can be deducted because of subsequently completing the first term of that language at the University of Michigan).

Official transcript(s) of the completed transfer work should be sent to:

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of Michigan
300 Student Activities Building
515 East Jefferson Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316.

Transfer Credit guidelines +

  1. Up to 60 credits may be transferred from other colleges and universities to count toward the 120 required for a U-M degree. Thirty of your last 60 credits must be taken in residence (on AA campus or a U-M sponsored study abroad program). Note that all pre-health prerequisite courses should be elected at a four-year institution.    
  2. Before you invest time and money in taking courses be sure the credit will transfer. You can check the web site for Transfer Credit Evaluation Out-of-Residence Curriculum Information (Transfer Credit Equivalencies) or request a pre-evaluation from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (Student Activities Building). An on-line form for requesting pre-evaluation can be found at: You need to speak to your advisor about how the course satisfies requirements.
  3. If the credit is "non-transferable" then don't take it unless you are interested in the subject for your own purposes; "departmental" credit indicates it is affiliated with a specific department but does not match a U-M course; and as a specific course number. In order to have credits included in your major you must discuss this IN ADVANCE with a department advisor. The language requirement may not be fulfilled out of residence unless you have prior written permission from the appropriate language department.
  4. When the course is completed arrange for an official transcript to be sent to Undergraduate Admissions, Student Activities Building, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316. Grades of "C" or better will be evaluated for transfer, but the grade will not appear on your transcript (unless you attend UM-Flint or UM-Dearborn where the grade will transfer as well).
  5. Many colleges and universities in the state of Michigan require a guest or visitor application available from the Registrar's Student Service Office at 1210 LSA Building.  

    Michigan Uniform Guest Application:

Residence Policy +

At least 60 of the 120 credits required for a degree must be earned in residence. Residence credit is granted for courses elected on the Ann Arbor campus or at off-campus sites directed by Ann Arbor faculty present on the site.

  • At least 30 of the last 60 credits for the degree must be earned in residence.
  • No more than 60 credits may be earned through Advanced Placement, credit by examination, correspondence courses, transfer credit from other institutions, and off-campus independent study.
  • Cross-campus transfer students may receive credit for a maximum of 90 credits from a previous college or school on the Ann Arbor campus. No more than 60 of these 90 credits may have been completed at other institutions. LSA residency requires that a student earn 30 credits in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2015 Regents of the University of Michigan