440 Lorch Hall
611 Tappan Street
(734) 764-0353 (phone)
(734) 936-3406 (fax)
2215 Angell Hall
435 South State Street
(734) 764-6285 (phone)
(734) 763-8071 (fax) www.lsa.umich.edu/philosophy e-mail: email@example.com
1343 East Hall
530 Church Street
(734) 764-2580 (phone)
(734) 764-3520 (fax) www.lsa.umich.edu/psych
Cognitive Science Advising
A three-tier advising system exists.
- Peer advisors (Tier 1) will help majors select a major track, identify courses that suit their interests, and plan course schedules.
- Students will meet with advisors in the major (student services staff; Tier 2) when declaring, making course substitutions, discussing transfer/study abroad credit evaluations, preparing major release forms, and more.
- Students will meet with faculty advisors (Tier 3) for more detailed discussions about their undergraduate preparation, graduate school, and research opportunities (including possible post-graduate training opportunities). Faculty advisors are faculty in Linguistics, Philosophy, and Psychology.
Although all tracks are interdisciplinary, each has a particularly heavy concentration of courses in one of the sponsoring units, and advisors for a given track will be primarily selected from that unit:
- Computation and Cognition: Psychology
- Decision and Cognition: Psychology
- Language and Cognition: Linguistics
- Philosophy and Cognition: Philosophy
Advising appointments can be made at:
https://webapps.lsa.umich.edu/AdvAppts/AA_StuSelfSvc1.aspx?ctgy=COGSCI or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Program Policies
Distribution. Students in the Cognitive Science major may count introductory courses in PSYCH, LING, PHIL, ECON, EECS toward their College Area Distribution requirement, although these introductory courses cannot simultaneously count as core courses in the major. COGSCI 200 will not count toward distribution for Cognitive Science majors.
Double Majoring. Cognitive Science majors may double major in BCN, Linguistics, Neuroscience, Philosophy, Psychology, or other fields. However, to ensure that these students have devoted significant, independent effort to each major, only three courses can be counted toward both majors.
Cognitive Science Faculty
Cognitive Science Executive Committee
- Samuel Epstein (Professor, Linguistics), Director
- Priti Shah (Professor, Psychology)
- Chandra Sripada (Assistant Professor, Philosophy)
- Undergraduate Application
- Academics & Requirements
- Academic Advising
- Faculty Listings
- Transfer Information
- Study Abroad
- International Internship Program
- Michigan Learning Communities
- Course Guide
- For Graduate Students
- Your Student Experience
- Sophomore Initiative