Graham Environmental Sustainability Institute
Graham Institute is a collaborative partnership of schools, colleges and units across the U-M. The Graham Institute fosters cross-disciplinary collaboration to create and disseminate knowledge and to offer solutions related to complex sustainability issues. Specifically, we:
- Create and support interdisciplinary educational programs that explore the complexities of environmental sustainability and emphasize the inter-relationships between ecological systems.
- Bring together diverse collections of researchers and stakeholders to develop science-based assessments that are intended to inform and assist policymakers in the decision making process.
- Develop outreach programs that educate external communities and constituents on how to economically and effectively achieve sustainability.
- Leverage and promote existing U-M research, education, outreach, and operational efforts related to sustainability.
The Institute sponsors a University-wide Certificate Program. After successful completion of the program, students will receive a "Sustainability Scholars" certificate from the Graham Institute to acknowledge their achievement. Upon graduation, they will also receive a special notation on their U-M transcripts designating this scholastic accomplishment. (NOTE: The latter is limited to students from home academic units that have authorized the Registrar's Office to make the notation.) Students who are pursuing an academic minor in Sustainability are excluded from receiving a Certificate in Sustainability on their transcripts.
By participating in the Undergraduate Sustainability Scholars Program (YSSP), students explore natural, social, economic, political, and technological aspects of complex sustainability issues, thus challenging and encouraging themselves to see issues from multiple perspectives. Students also apply their knowledge to real-life sustainability challenges, harnessing their critical thinking and problem solving skills. U-M students apply and are admitted to the Undergraduate Sustainability Scholars Program during the second term of their sophomore year.
- Undergraduate Application
- Academics & Requirements
- Academic Advising in the College
- Course Selection & Scheduling
- Transfer Information
- Study Abroad
- International Internship Program
- Michigan Learning Communities
- Course Guide
- For Graduate Students
- Your Student Experience
- Sophomore Initiative