How To Pay For Your Internship...

image of a french bank building

Spending 8-12 weeks abroad (often in an unpaid position) can be expensive.

Take a few moments to work out a budget once you have a set plan.

If you have been offered a placement, you should begin applying for funding immediately.  The best place to begin is perhaps your home department.  Often, departments have funds that they reserve for undergraduate experiential or co-curricular activities.  Begin there.  For examples, Romance Languages & Literatures has stipends available for International Internships.

LSA has need-based scholarships for International Internships.  Check their homepage to see if you are eligible to apply:

The Coleman Global Experience Scholarship, created by past University of Michigan President Mary Sue Coleman, is available to all students. The scholarship aims to encourage travel abroad and intercultural experience.

Summer in South Asia Undergraduate Fellowships: Undergraduate students at UM have an opportunity to design and carry out their own fellowhsip programs in India during the summer. This fellowship is intended for non-graduating students who have not already spent ssignificant amounts of time in India. Learn more through the Center for South Asian Studies website or emails:

Funding for internships in Europe and Eurasia can be found through the Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia (WCEE).

If you will be undertaking a French-language internship, you should apply to the French American Chamber of Commerce, as they have travel stipends to award.
Email Address:

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship. Gilman scholars receive up to $5,000 toward their study abroad costs. The program aims to diversify the students who study and intern abroad and the countries and regions where they go.

The Residential College offers internship funding for RC students and for LSA students pursuing a concentration or minor offered by the RC. Please contact for information and to apply.

Ross students may receive funding through CIBER.  Contact for more information.

Apply to the $500 Scholarship for Abroad Experiences through Diversity Network. This scholarship is not need-based.

The International Center (Students Union) has a huge collection of information regarding available funding sources for undergraduates here.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2015 Regents of the University of Michigan