Fellows Seminar

The Fellows Seminar brings together graduate student instructors (Junior Fellows) and faculty (Senior Fellows) from multiple disciplines who share a commitment to integrating writing in their courses. The program is supported by the College of Literature, Science & the Arts, the Rackham Graduate School, and the Sweetland Center for Writing.

All seminar participants share an interest in:

• helping students become better writers;
  • integrating writing in their courses;
  • and discussing critical issues in the teaching of writing with colleagues.

In the winter term, Senior Fellows:

• meet on Fridays from 1-3 PM;
  • confer with visiting experts;
  • discuss teaching and writing with colleagues across disciplines; and
  • develop plans for integrating writing into courses
  • receive $4,000 in a research account or “project grant” in their unit during the winter term for participating in the Seminar.

In the fall term:

Junior Fellows teach one section of English 125 (a four-credit writing course on a topic related to their discipline) and are supported by a .50 GSI fraction.

Applying for a Senior Fellowship

Application materials include:

• A letter (maximum two pages) describing your interest in teaching writing in your discipline
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Two references (names and contact information)

Please contact Laura Schuyler at schuyler@umich.edu or 936-3144 with questions.

The application deadline for the Winter 2015 Seminar is February 28, 2014. Selections will be announced via email in early April.

What previous participants have said:
Mika Lavaque-Manty
Associate Professor, Political Science

"Seminar readings and, in particular, the discussions were extremely helpful for thinking not only about the role of writing in my pedagogy, but the role of genre and new media in my scholarship more broadly."

Tim McKay
Professor of Physics
Director, Honors Program

"I really enjoyed the Seminar and find myself missing it. Having had little opportunity to explore the scholarship of writing, I learned a tremendous amount and have a renewed commitment to rescuing the writing training of students in the sciences."