Students at the University of Michigan (with the exception of College of Engineering students) must satisfy the First-Year Writing Requirement (FYWR) by completing an approved FYWR course. In addition, the Stamps School of Art and Design; the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts; and the School of Music, Theatre and Dance require students to complete the Upper-Level Writing Requirement (ULWR) with an approved ULWR course which must be taken at the UM-Ann Arbor campus.

Use this flowchart to help guide you through the process of choosing a course.

Transfer students who have taken writing courses at another college or university may be able to use these courses to satisfy the First-Year Writing Requirement. Please consult the list of approved courses from other colleges and universities, as well as the list of courses that are not approved, to see whether a course completed elsewhere satisfies the First-Year Writing Requirement at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. Advanced Placement (AP), Creative Writing, and Journalism courses do not fulfill the FYWR.

If the course you completed is on the list of approved transfer courses and you received at least a grade of C, you have fulfilled the FYWR and may be ready to take an upper-level writing course. To help you decide which upper-level writing course is best for you, the Sweetland Center for Writing asks you to complete the Transfer Student Directed Self-Placement for Writing. When you meet with your advisor during Orientation, please confirm that your student record indicates the FYWR has been fulfilled.

If the course you completed is on the list of not-approved transfer courses, you need to complete the First-Year Directed Self-Placement for Writing to help you choose the most appropriate first-year writing class.

If the course you completed is not listed on either the approved or not-approved list, you may complete an online Petition for Transfer Course Credit. As part of the petition, you will need to submit a course description (from the school catalog), course guidelines, and a detailed course syllabus, including information about number, length, and type of papers written. Please submit your petition materials at least one month before the date of your orientation. If your petition is approved, you will take the Transfer DSP. If your petition is not approved, you will take the First-Year DSP. Make sure that you have completed the appropriate DSP at least five business days before your orientation. If you choose not to submit a Petition for Transfer Credit, please complete the First-Year DSP to help you choose the most appropriate first-year writing class. Log in to and follow the instructions on the webpage

We strongly recommend you speak with your advisor about fulfilling these requirements.