The goal of the Upper-Level Writing Requirement (ULWR) is to teach students to recognize and employ the writing conventions of their chosen major.
In ULWR courses, students learn to:
- logically organize their thoughts into writing;
- use clear and concise language;
- analyze information masterfully;
- incorporate appropriate evidence into their analysis;
- understand the central concepts, approaches, materials and written conventions in their chosen major.
Over the course of the term, students will complete several writing assignments that are related to course content and intended to help students practice the rhetoric of their specific discipline. Possible assignments may include journals, research papers, critical analyses, and/or lab reports. Students will receive feedback on their writing from their ULWR instructor and are expected to revise much of their work throughout the term.