The Family Reading & Science Program offers a series of two outreach workshops which take place in libraries throughout SE Michigan and at the Museum. Each workshop explores a different aspect of a central theme. The workshop series culminates with a Discovery Day at the Museum in March.
Workshops are 60 minutes long and designed for children ages 6-11 AND their parent or guardian. Participation is free.
2016 Family Reading and Science Program: Time!
Time is something we constantly try to measure and track as it dictates our day to day schedule and allows us to order all the events of the past and future. Still, our perceptions of time can be unreliable when trying to comprehend exactly how long an eon is or how short a nanosecond. Join the U-M Museum of Natural History as we explore the fun and unique ways to look at and measure time!
Workshop 1: Through the Ages
- Zoom through vast stretches of history to learn about large-scale time. Starting with the Big Bang Theory, participants will venture into topics such as evolution and the development of human cultures in this “big history” workshop.
Workshop 2: In the Blink of an Eye
- Do you know what a nanosecond is? Have you ever held one? In this workshop, participants will explore unique ways to measure time and learn what can happen in the blink of an eye.
Join us for Discovery Day on Saturday, March 19 at the U-M Museum of Natural History
Workshop 1: February 21, 2016 - 2pm
Workshop 2: March 13, 2016 - 2pm
To register for Museum workshops, call (734) 764-0480. To register at your local library, see below.
Local Library Workshops
Ann Arbor District Library - Pittsfield Branch
2359 Oak Valley Dr., Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(734) 327-4200 - Call for more information: No registration required
- March 12 at 2pm Workshop 1 Through the Ages (Time and Program Updated)
Detroit Public Library
5201 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202
- February 20 at 2pm Workshop 1 Through the Ages
- March 5 at 2pm Workshop 2 In the Blink of an Eye
Royal Oak Public Library
222 E. Eleven Mile, Royal Oak, MI 48067
- January 26 at 7pm Workshop 1 Through the Ages
- February 23 at 7pm Workshop 2 In the Blink of an Eye
Salem-South Lyon District Library
9800 Pontiac Trail, South Lyon, MI 48178
- January 16 at 11am Workshop 1 Through the Ages
- February 20 at 11am Workshop 2 In the Blink of an Eye
Saline District Library
555 North Maple Road, Saline, MI 48176
- February 13 at 3pm Workshop 2 In the Blink of an Eye
If you are interested in bringing Family Reading & Science Workshops to your library please contact program manager Kira Berman via email firstname.lastname@example.org or 734.647.8574