Changing Gears (CG) is a UROP program designed for community college transfer students who will be attending the University of Michigan in the Winter or Fall 2015. Students in the CG Program become a part of an ongoing research project in their field of interest and work alongside UM Faculty and Scholars on groundbreaking research. Students learn valuable academic skills, applying these skills to their research project, academics, and future career and opportunities, while receiving academic credit or compensation for their efforts in research work.
UROP's Changing Gears Program provides Community College Students with:
- A community of transfer students facilitated by CG Program alumni.
- Advanced students’ academic and research skills for a smoother transition to UM.
- Access to hands-on research opportunities in students’ field of interest.
- Connect Students with resources and opportunities for professional development and graduate school.
- Build relationships with Faculty Mentors, Research Scholars and UROP Staff.
Changing Gears Program Requirements
- Work on a research project 6-12 hours per week (avg.) for the full academic year.
- Research issues such as research methodology and research ethics.
- Assigned a UROP Peer Advisor (CG Alumni) for the full academic year to help students:
- Find a research project
- Prepare for the interview process
- Provide research skills through workshops
- Connect students with resources and opportunities at UM
- Create a community and support students’ UM transfer experience
- Attend biweekly interdisciplinary seminars including guest speakers, field trips, and discussions, connecting students’ seminar to their research experience.
- Complete assigned readings and assignments from UROP Peer Advisor about students’ research and UM transfer process.
- Present research project at the Annual Spring Research Symposium.
Changing Gears Program Eligibility
The Changing Gears Program is designed for community college students transferring to the University of Michigan in the Winter or Fall 2015. Students must have at least Sophomore standing. We recommend applying early as it is a competitive program.
The following students are for the Changing Gears Program:
- Students who have participated in UROP during the academic year in the past including MRC students.
- Current UROP participants (i.e. you participated in UROP during Fall 2014-Winter 2015) who are freshmen or sophomores and want to continue with their projects for Fall 2015-Winter 2016 should apply to the Research Scholars Programand/or discuss ways to continue doing research with their research sponsors directly.
Priority is given to students with no research experience, therefore students who have had previous research experience on the Ann Arbor campus (even though it may have not been through UROP) will be admitted to the "Traditional UROP Program" rather than the Changing Gears Program.
Please Note: Students transferring from a 4 year University/Institution should apply to the Traditional UROP Program–Sophomore Application.
Changing Gears Compensation Options
For the CG Program, students can earn either academic credit or compensation:
Credit: Students can earn 2-4 academic credits per term, based on the level of research required. Students will register by permission for UROP credit upon being hired for a research project.
Compensation: Students can earn work-study wages (if work-study is part of their financial aid package). Students with financial need but who do not have work-study as part of their financial aid package can apply for a grant upon admission to the program (more details would be provided upon their admission).
Please indicate in the comments section of the online application which option you are selecting (credit or compensation)
Questions regarding the program can be emailed to UROP at firstname.lastname@example.org Please be sure to include your name and UMID in any correspondence.