add contact to address book

Emily Price

Doctoral Candidate in History

1029 Tisch Hall, Ann Arbor MI, 48109-1003

eprice@umich.edu

• Fields of Study
    • Medieval / Early Modern Britain and Italy: pilgrimage
    • material culture
    • memory
  • About

I am a scholar of religion in late medieval and early modern Europe. My primary areas of specialization are pilgrimage and its material culture, the production of domestic and sacred spaces, and premodern historical thinking. I am currently a doctoral candidate, completing my dissertation, “Authenticity, Domesticity, and the Holy House in England and Italy, 1350-1620,” a comparative study of shrines to the Virgin Mary’s childhood home. My project not only provides a clearer view of how domestic and sacred spaces were understood, but also complicates the narrative of Reformation and Counter-Reformation in premodern Europe. In sum, my work explores how concepts of authenticity and domesticity changed as premodern people negotiated shifting regional, national, linguistic, and confessional boundaries.

Presentations:

2012 “At Home in Mary’s House: Two Medieval Annunciation Shrines.” Invited paper, Social Relations and Cross-Cultural Communication in the Medieval and Early Modern World Symposium, Ann Arbor, Michigan.

2011 “Family and Devotion in Fifteenth-Century England and Italy.” Invited paper, University of Warwick in Venice 43rd Annual Conference on Comparative Themes in Florentine and Venetian Renaissance History and History of Art, Venice, Italy.

2010 “Domesticating the Sacred, Sanctifying the Domestic: Souvenirs of the Holy House from
    Walsingham and Loreto.” Paper presented at the International Medieval Congress, Leeds, UK.
    2009 “Late Medieval Pilgrimage Guides and Imagined Pilgrimage.” Paper presented at the University of York Cultural Histories of Sociability, Spaces and Mobility Conference, York, UK.

Publications:

Price, E. (Forthcoming). Otherness and Englishness in Late-Mediaeval Pilgrimage Guides. In C. Divall (Ed.), Sociability, Spaces and Mobility. London: Pickering and Chatto.

Price, E. (2009). Scrip. In L. Taylor (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of Medieval Pilgrimage (671-2). Leiden: Brill.

Price, E. (2009). Staff. In L. Taylor (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of Medieval Pilgrimage (735). Leiden: Brill.

• Education
    • BA, Anthropology, Grinnell College, 2000
    • MA, Medieval Archaeology, University of York, 2004
  • Awards
    • 2010, Rackham Graduate School International Research Award
    • 2008, Alison Goddard Elliot Award for Outstanding Conference Paper
    • 2003, British Council International Student Awards: Highly Commended
  • Grants
    • 2011, Mellon Visiting Research Fellowship, University of Warwick, Warwick-in-Venice
    • 2010, University of Michigan Medieval and Early Modern Studies Research Grant
    • 2007, Rackham Graduate School Pre-Candidate Research Grant