Apply for Graduation
By LSA Academic Auditors
Sep 23, 2013
In order to graduate you must follow the steps outlined below. These steps will initiate an Official Degree Audit, which is required prior to graduation. This official audit will be e-mailed to your UMICH account by an LSA auditor, and is what we use to verify degree completion.
HOW TO APPLY
Log into the Student Business page of Wolverine Access, go to Degree Progress/Graduation, click on Apply for Graduation and follow the prompts. There are three graduation periods a year:
- Students who plan to graduate in December should apply for Fall 2013
- Students who plan to graduate in April/May should apply for Winter 2014
- Students who plan to graduate in August should apply for Summer 2014
GRADUATION VS. COMMENCEMENT
You should apply for the semester in which all of your requirements will be complete, which may be different from the semester in which you plan on attending commencement.
- Students who have applied to graduate at the end of Fall semester are eligible to attend the commencement that December or the following April/May.
- Students who have applied to graduate at the end of Winter semester are eligible to attend the commencement the previous December or that April/May.
- Students who have applied to graduate at the end of Summer semester are eligible to attend the commencement the previous April/May or the following December.
For more details about commencement, go to http://www.umich.edu/~gradinfo/.
We recommend students apply a full semester prior to graduation, which is why we are contacting you now. If you want your name to appear in the December Commencement guide, you must apply for Fall graduation by October 15. If you want your name to appear in the April/May Commencement guide, you must apply for Winter or Summer graduation by February 15.
WHAT ELSE IS REQUIRED?
You must have an Official Degree Audit done by the auditors prior to graduation. To have the audit done, in addition to applying for graduation, you must have release forms submitted for every plan (major, minor, or certificate) you have declared. To have a release submitted, contact all of the departments in which you have declared a plan and set up an appointment. An audit letter will be e-mailed to your UMICH account within two weeks after these steps have been completed.
ANYTHING ELSE YOU SHOULD KNOW?
Your University records must be accurate in order for us to to approve you for graduation. Once you have applied, any changes to your graduation date need to be submitted to our office by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to drop a major, minor, or certificate, or change your degree (e.g., BS to a BA), then send an e-mail to the same address and we will update your records.
If you have questions about academic requirements, please contact a general or concentration advisor as appropriate.
Best wishes as you move toward the completion of your degree,