add contact to address book

Ana Maria Silva

Doctoral Candidate in History

1029 Tisch Hall, Ann Arbor MI, 48109-1003

anasilva@umich.edu

• Fields of Study
    • Early modern Atlantic, Latin America, especially New Granada. Slavery, material culture, migration, belonging
  • About

My research explores the ways in which different types of migrants -enslaved Africans and their descendants, merchants, colonial officials, and missionaries- made colonial homes as they became rooted in Cartagena de Indias and established networks of social and material exchange during the seventeenth century. In my dissertation, I articulate these issues by juxtaposing different kinds of people and social relations with the material conditions of daily life in Cartagena’s slave society. In particular, I focus on the mobility of enslaved men, women, and children across urban and rural spaces in order to investigate their connections through social and economic networks and through the law, to the everyday practices and strategies men, women, and colonial institutions such as the Inquisition employed to accumulate and maintain property. My dissertation is based on sources from the Archivo General de Indias and the Archivo Histórico Nacional in Spain, and the Archivo General de la Nación in Colombia.

• Education
    • MA, History, University of Michigan, 2013
    • BA, History & Language, Universidad de Los Andes, 2008