Contour plot of the stream function of an unstable mode at the onset of instability of Taylor-Couette flow with radial suction. From B. Gallet, C.R. Doering, & E.A. Spiegel, Physics of Fluids 22, 03405 (2010).
Images from Lada Adamic.
Snapshot of the tempurature field in a direct numerical simulation of turbulence in Rayleigh-Benard convection, the buoyancy of flow in a fluid heated from below and cooled from above.
Granuloma formation in TB infection. Image generated by Denise Kirschner's group.
The "Population" image is a new world map created by Mark Newman.
The "Percolation Cluster" was created by Len Sander for one of his papers (physics).
Please browse our new website to learn more about our department.
This image represents the age distribution of pertussis in the vaccine era.
High amplitude vorticity regions in developed turbulence often constitute tube or sheet-like structures.
Welcome to the Center for the Study of Complex Systems
The Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS) is a broadly interdisciplinary program in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA) at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Our mission is to encourage and facilitate research and education in the general area of nonlinear, dynamical and adaptive systems.
C A L L F O R P A P E R S
The Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS) invites applications for a tenure-track position of Assistant Professor of Complex Systems.
- CSCS Student Project November 26, 2014
- Affiliated Faculty member Bob Axelrod receives National Medal of Science October 20, 2014
- Mark Newman Awarded the 2014 Lagrange Prize June 25, 2014
- Ankur Mani, Research Scientist, Dept of Information, Operations and Management Sciences, NYU Stern School of Business
- Pierre-André Noël, Postdoctoral Scholar, Dept. of Computer Science and Complexity Sciences Center