Minor in Law, Justice, and Social Change!
Interested in a career in law, policy, criminal justice, grassroots social change, or want to have a deeper understanding of law and society? Click picture for more information.
What is Sociology?
Sociology is the study of social structures and social institutions. Click picture for more information.
Students and Faculty study societal issues impacting the entire world - including "What happens to our trash?"
Major in Sociology!
Sociology prepares you for positions in business, social services, and government, and in professions such as law, education, medicine, and social work. Click picture for more information.
Recent Faculty Publications
UM Sociology Faculty are always publishing new and important books. Click picture for more information.
Sociology 389 - Project Community
Students can earn academic credit by reflecting sociologically on service learning experiences. Click picture for more information.
Welcome to the Department of Sociology
Consistently rated among the top departments in the country, Michigan Sociology has a long and distinguished tradition of excellence in both teaching and scholarship. We offer a wide and stimulating range of coursework at the undergraduate level, as well as providing one of the most highly respected programs of graduate training anywhere in the world. Our faculty are at the cutting edge of new thinking and research in the field of sociology.
Michigan Sociology is setting the pace… please explore our Web site to find out more.
- UM Sociology Named Top-Ranked Sociology Department in US News & World Report September 9, 2014
- Morenoff Named One of the World's Most-Cited Researchers September 4, 2014
- Many Faculty and Students Recognized with Awards at ASA Conference August 28, 2014
- Economic Sociology Workshop
Speaker: Dan Hirschman
- Fall Career Expo DAY 1 - Sponsored by the Career Center
- Fall Career Expo Day 2 - Sponsored by the Career Center