Tappan UMMA Panorama
Stephen Allee, curator at the Freer-Sackler museum in Washington DC, talks to Prof. Martin Powers' class about Chinese paintings.
Professor Raymond Silverman (R) with Yaw Amankwa, a master brasscaster from Krofrom, Ghana
The Visual Resources Collections staff assists with the image needs of the History of Art and wider university community.
Welcome to the Department of the History of Art
One of the three largest departments of art history in North America with specialists covering every major continent, Michigan has ranked among the top art history doctoral programs nationally. The department traces its origins to 1910, and has been home to some of the most distinguished scholars in the field. In keeping with this long tradition, we encourage interdisciplinary work to take advantage of the University’s great strengths across fields, including anthropology, archaeology, philosophy, film studies, women’s studies, area studies, and law.
- Joan Kee's book on contemporary Korean art featured in New Yorker article October 1, 2015
- Collaboration leads to ACSAA Digital Images newly available for free direct downloading September 29, 2015
- Ximena Gomez awarded Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Abroad Fellowship September 22, 2015
- “Blood, Artifice, and the Resurrected Body in the Shroud of Turin”
Speaker: Andrew Casper, Miami University
- 2015 History of Art Symposium: The Things You Own End Up Owning You: Art in the 1990s
- Elizabeth Sears Collegiate Professorship Inaugural Lecture
Speaker: Elizabeth Sears