In this episode of The Daily Weekly, we delve into the intricate relationship between social media, attention spans, and ADHD in college students. Discover how platforms like TikTok and Instagram, with their attention-hooking algorithms, are influencing the focus and academic performance of the youth. We kick off with students sharing their candid thoughts on the impact of social media on their concentration. Then, we shift to students with ADHD discussing the unique challenges they encounter in education and how social media further affects their attention spans.

Dive deep with us into the groundbreaking ADHD research at the University of Michigan, gaining insights from researchers about the hurdles students with ADHD face. To cap off, Clinical Social Worker and author Terry Matlen joins us, shedding light on how ADHD’s challenges have evolved across generations and offering vital coping strategies for students. Matlen also provides an expert view on the gender-specific nuances of ADHD.

FROM THE PODCAST:

HOST: Next, we are going to do an in-depth look at the ADHD research being conducted at the University of Michigan, and get a researcher’s perspective on the barriers students with ADHD face.

JAHLA OSBORNE: My name’s Jahla Osborne, I am currently a fourth year PhD student at the University of Michigan in the Psychology department, specifically the Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience area. There, I work under the advisement of Drs. John Jonides and Priti Shah, and in their labs broadly I study Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, ADHD. I particularly focus on understanding distractibility. I study external distractions, like noises and visual stimuli, as well as internal distractions like mind wandering, daydreaming, or another type of internal distraction is negative thinking, like recurring negative thoughts, things like that.

Listen to the complete podcast in The Michigan Daily