West Hall Arch
The Chair's Welcome
Our New Master's Students - Fall 2013
Our New PhD Students - Fall 2013
Bob Keener delivers the introduction of the Woodroofe Distinguished Seminar Series
Faculty at the Woodroofe Reception - Bin Yu Speaker
Professors Yu, He, Tewari, Zhu, Ionides, Levina and Nguyen
Celebrating September Birthdays
Susan Murphy and Liza Levina
Graduate Students Work the Grill
Vijay Nair receives the Deming Lecturer Award
Tim McKay gives lecture on Learning Analytics as part of the International Year of Statistics
Rida Naseem attends the 2014 Career Fair.
Millward Brown Digital
A representative (and Stats alum) speaks to a student during the 2014 Career Fair.
Professor Long Nguyen is congratulated on his NSF CAREER Award
Welcome to Michigan Statistics
Welcome to the Department of Statistics at U-M. We are part of the College of Literature, Science and the Arts. We have a fast-growing reputation as an international leader in statistical education and research. The 2010 National Research Council study placed us firmly in the top ten among all statistics departments in the US. We have a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs serving a wide spectrum of students. Many of our faculty members are renowned researchers who work on some of the most important problems of the day, including modeling and analyzing complex and high-dimensional data. Among them are a MacArthur Fellow (Susan Murphy), the current president of the International Statistical Institute (Vijay Nair), editors of leading statistics journals (Xuming He, George Michailidis and Naisyin Wang), and elected fellows of the American Statistical Association and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics. We continue to recruit the highest-quality faculty and students, and dedicate resources to producing leaders of the field for the next generation.
The MacArthur Fellowship recognizes 24 exceptionally creative individuals with a track record of achievement and the potential for even more significant contributions in the future.
- Susan Murphy named Herbert E. Robbins Distinguished University Professor of Statistics July 23, 2014
- Pramita Bagchi and Sumanta Basu Win Student Paper Competition at IISA Conference July 16, 2014
- Sandipan Roy Wins an ICSA Student Paper Award May 12, 2014
- Student Seminar Series: Student Annual Reports, Dao Nguyen, Emmy Lei, and Pramita Bagchi
Speaker: Dao Nguyen, Emmy Lei, and Pramita Bagchi, Ph.D. Students, University of Michigan, Department of Statistics
- Department Seminar Series: Yehua Li, Functional Principal Component Analysis of Spatial-Temporal Point Processes with Applications in Disease Surveillance
Speaker: Yehua Li, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Statistics & Statistical Laboratory, Iowa State University
- Statistics Department Hosted Seminar Series by Professor Yves Atchade: Saharon Rosset, Statistical methods for managing public databases and shared data resources
Speaker: Saharon Rosset, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Statistics, Tel Aviv University